A Cupa Christmas

I do love Christmas and I have always loved making Christmas decorations.  I’ve had this idea floating around in my head for a couple of weeks, in fact ever since I ran across these little china cups while cleaning out the attic.  These were some little blue and white cups I had collected back in the 1980s.  I think they were one of those premiums the grocery store gave away, and while they were pretty, they are really pretty nondescript and rather worn. I looked them up online and they aren’t worth much (I wanted to make sure before I did something else with them).  I don’t need more cups, so when inspiration struck I decided to go for it.

It also just so happened that I had read in several places about a product that this was a good opportunity to take out for a test drive.  I love Mod Podge, but it’s not water proof.  I often have ideas for things, but I would like the item to withstand moisture.  So, I thought, you know what?  I’m going to try that stuff and just see.  It doesn’t matter if these cups are water proof, but I can see how that stuff goes on, how it looks and how well it works.

At any rate, I have to say, I’m really pleased with my little Christmas Cup.  I have only made one, but I really wanted to share it with you for Handmade Monday. So, before you head over there to check out what everyone else has done, I hope you will take a look at what you can do with a little tissue paper, some Mod Podge, an old china cup, gold thread and that mystery ingredient!  Just click on Christmas Tea Cup.  Then head over to Handmade Monday and see what everyone else has been up to!  🙂

Comments

1. Jam Dalory says:

That is really sweet, you should definitely make more. x

I love this idea and mod podge is so good to use, you have upcylced ready for Christmas

Fabulous – really effective.

4. Jill says:

It looks really good – very inspiring to have a go at decorating other things, bowls, etc

5. mcrafts says:

The cup is lovely! Like the shape of it especially and the colours you have used. Mich 🙂

6. redneedle says:

I love the gold thread it just gives it all a little lift doesn’t it?

7. Sarah says:

What gorgeous colours…..fantastic idea!!! xx

8. Mrs A. says:

Looks really good. Very festive. I’ve yet to try out mod podge but may just give it a go now. Hugs Mrs A.

9. Bright colours, gold thread and very pretty. Want one now.

A lovely idea for Christmas!

10. lisa says:

Susie, this is wonderful!
    I wish you and you family a beautiful Thanksgiving.
    Sending hugs to “My Baby” too!!

11. Adaliza says:

That’s so effective. I’m going to do some sticky fun stuff with some cardboard letters but I don’t think we get mod podge over here – presumably PVA based? It’s really pretty and the gold thread is inspirational the whole cup just says “CHRISTMAS” – have fun!

Gosh I am behind (I blame the holiday week–Thanksgiving!). I wanted to address what Mod Podge is tho. I use it a lot. It’s a a glue and a sealer and a finish. There are recipes online to make it using white glue (like Elmer’s –I don’t know if that’s available where you are either, but we also call it school glue here, I think it’s PVA, but I am NOT a glue expert). Mod Podge is acid free, and I don’t think regular white glue is, which could be an issue for items you create.
      I wish I knew what was in Mod Podge, but I think the recipe must be a secret as I have not been able to find out online and there is nothing on the bottle that tells. I buy several bottles a year as I do love it. It has some drawbacks (it’s NOT waterproof –I hope this new product I used on the cup will help with that). But it’s a very cool product and I’ve used it for quite a few different things.
      If there is a product that anyone uses for decoupage, that would be a substitute, and perhaps the same thing. If you find something, please let me know!
      And I would love to see photos of anything you do!

12. fatmonica says:

I love this-it’s gorgeous!

13. Laura says:

It’s really cute!
    The colours are really festive 🙂