Starting Christmas

I am still cleaning out and organizing my craft room.  One thing I ran across was some Christmas ornaments I made before we moved to Florida that I put away and never did anything with.  I don’t need to take up that much space, and honestly, someone needs to enjoy them, so I finished them up with some ribbons and will get them into the mail to my sons and their wives.

They are very simple to make, so I thought I would share them here.  Obviously I didn’t take photos of the process.  However, it’s just torn tissue paper and Mod Podge on glass Christmas balls.  You can use either the clear ones, or the colored ones you buy to decorate a tree.  I actually used gold balls I bought a box of because they were cheaper.

Buy pretty Christmas tissue paper and tear it into manageable pieces (about 1 or 2 inches, random sizes).  Brush Mod Podge onto the ball and smooth the tissue onto the ball and brush more Mod Podge over the paper.   I like to buy cheap one inch paint brushes from the hardware store to use.    This is messy, by the way.  I don’t know if I do many things that aren’t.  You will have to do one side and set it on something like a small glass jar to let it dry and then do the other side.

Overlap the paper as you go, and just keep working it until you like the effect you get.  On some of them I wrapped gold thread for an interesting effect and on some I sprayed gold glitter spray.  I’m sure there are other things you could come up with.  Add a few coats of Mod Podge and let it dry thoroughly.  Add a nice little ribbon and that’s it!  These cost next to nothing.

When my boys were growing up I gave them an ornament every year so that when they left home they would have at least 20 or so ornaments for their tree.  Some years I bought them something if I found one that was perfect, like the year I found Santas with various sport’s themes.  Other years I made something.  Do any of you do this for your kids?  I think it’s such a nice tradition.  I even have a few ornaments made by my Mother in Law that will pass down too.

Oh, and don’t forget to also go check out Handmade Monday.  I’m sure everyone has done some really amazing things!  They always do.  🙂  Thanks for stopping by.

Comments

1. RosMadeMe says:

Susie – cannot believe this as I was looking at a set of these in a local up market boutique and they were not as good as yours. They are really fab!

They are gorgeous Susie – and yes, making ornaments could be a lovely family tradition.

3. redneedle says:

What a great family tradition to create proper family keepsakes with little stories behind them. These look lovely and as Ros says very ‘on trend’ at the moment.

4. mcrafts says:

Love them! I wish I had thought of starting a tradition like that with the decorations when my children were young Mich 🙂

5. Susie says:

I didn’t start doing ornaments when my first one was born, altho my Mom sent ornaments every year, and so I started after my third was born, so it was probably by the time the first was 4 or so. So, when they all left home they had quite a few. And even tho they are in their thirties now, I STILL get them something every year (or make it, depending). They might wish I would stop at this point. 🙂
    I think it’s never too late to start something though. Even if they only have 5 or 6 when they start their own family, it’s something.

6. Lovely! and such a great idea! x

7. Jewellery Bebe says:

lovely idea! you are so creative! what a talented lady you are!

8. dreamstar - Lisa says:

The baubles are gorgeous, really effective.
    I started to add “santas” special tag to my boys stockings each year when they were born but unfortunately didnt keep up the tradition beyond about 7 years. It’s lovely what you have done x

Don’t laugh, but Santa continued giving gifts to my sons as long as they came home for Christmas! LOL I am a sucker for tradition. 🙂 Of course I got presents from Santa until I got married. It was a bit of a sad day for me the first Christmas after I was married and there was nothing from that jolly old elf under the tree for me! 🙂

9. Maria says:

They are lovely I’m sure they will look great on the tree.
    I will be making my daughter some decorations as it will be her first Christmas in her own home with her fiance.

That’s really nice of you. It’s why I started the idea of making them for my kids as they were growing up. Our first Christmas after we were married, our tree was so bare, we were pretty poor and didn’t have much money to decorate with. We managed to buy a little used artificial tree (real ones were VERY expensive that year) and I strung popcorn and bought a few cheap ornaments, but it just looked pretty pathetic. So after Christmas when things were on sale I bought some more things, and I just started making some and collecting a few things every year. I have quite a collection now (too many really). 😉

10. Jam Dalory says:

They look great, i’ve never made christmas decorations before but i’m going to add these to my to-do list. x

11. Oooh they look really effective. I bet my kids would love to do this 🙂

12. lisa says:

What a neat idea Susie, and they are beautiful!
    Thank you for sharing.
    Have a great start to your week!

13. Shannon says:

Wow! Those are awesome! You have inspired me. I was just looking at ornaments at the store this week and thinking they are too expensive. I want my tree to be made of “homemade” things from the girls. We have some, but they are just now getting old enough to make things somewhat independently. I’m super excited about the week off at Thanksgiving so we can make ornaments!

I can’t wait for you to share some of them on your blog! I sure wish I’d had a blog back when the boys were little, it’s such a treasure, your grandkids will LOVE to be able to look back at this, you have NO idea (and you will too!).

Handmade Christmas ornaments are treasures of the future, colourful and so effective

15. What a lovely idea, and the baubles look really fantastic.

16. Planet Penny says:

These are so pretty, simple and effective. I love the idea of adding to the decorations over the years so every time you get out the decoration box it’s full of memories.

Exactly! I’m such a sentimentalist, and I love doing that. And I wonder if down the road, my kids will share these with their grandkids and say, “I remember the Christmas when we got this, or tell a funny story, etc.” I think that’s the important thing about *stuff* not what it’s worth in dollars, but the memories it holds and how it helps you to remember and share them. I also still have some things the kids made in school. They aren’t very pretty but they are treasures to me, because I remember their little hands and how proud they were, giving them to me.

17. these are so pretty, and so easy to do, it’s a great idea to do one or two each year. I suppose you could always incorporate the year into each one made.

Jan x

18. Jill says:

They are lovely – I love Christmas decorations of all types, but the best are handmade ones.

19. Susie says:

Thank you all, I had thought this might be sort of a cheat on the blog this week, since these were made awhile back and I didn’t have photos of the process (I may do that at a later date when the house is back together). But you have all made me feel so warm and happy, and I hope some of you will start the tradition with your kids. It has been years and years of a process, but well worth it. 🙂

20. Lau W says:

Thanks for sharing with us the history of your family, it’s so fun ! And thanks for sharing your creations, you know how much i love what you do my friend !
    Hugs and kisses !

You are so welcome, I always enjoy your cards too, YOU are very creative as well. I have so enjoyed meeting a creative community online with this blog. It never occurred to me when I was starting this that I would make so many friends with it, but I’m very glad I did.

21. Mrs A. says:

These are so gorgeous. I have a load of old baubles that I was going to chuck out last year but in the end put them away in the shed so glad I kept them now. Will go and find them and have a go at doing this. Thanks for the instructions. Hugs Mrs A.

You will NOT be sorry, these are SO EASY. Messy, yes, but EASY. Just find cool paper to put on them, I think that’s the key.

22. Stephen says:

These are lovely. Much nicer than the ones I seen in the shops, plus the fact that they are handmade makes them even more special. Thanks for sharing this 🙂

23. Pickle-Lily says:

Your baubles are so pretty and original. I love the idea of collecting a decoration a year for the children, and I will start this year for mine. Thank-you for sharing such a lovely idea.
    Jo x