Paint Storage

It’s Handmade Monday again!  I did something a little different, mostly because it was Mother’s Day and my husband’s birthday this weekend.  And because I’ve been working on a little project that has turned into a little bigger project (meaning it took MUCH longer to dry than I ever imagined it would!) so it’s not ready for prime time yet.

I think this is a pretty useful idea, although it’s probably not original.  If you haven’t already thought of it, you might find it helpful.  It wasn’t completely mine, my husband helped me find the box, and I’m really not sure which of us really thought of the paintbrush holder idea.  Maybe we both thought of it at exactly the same time.  Either way, it was quick and it worked, so bravo on both counts!  That’s my kind of project.

It’s so easy, I’m just going to post it right here.  I needed something to store all of my various colors of acrylic paints that I’ve collected for painting things, mostly paper mache.  They had outgrown my plastic box, and were spilling out onto the shelf and it was very difficult to know what I had (which had caused me to buy the same color twice more than once!).  It was just a mess.

So, we headed off to the home improvement store and looked at the various boxes.  I settled on a Stanley brand box that was probably meant to hold nuts and bolts, but had removable compartments and was the perfect size to fit paint bottles (laying down).  Most of the compartments would hold 4, altho there are also 2 that will hold 10 each.  And I have a few smaller paints that will also fit.  It snaps shut to keep things from falling out and has a handle.

Paint box filled with paintThere was only one problem.  There was nowhere to put my paintbrushes.  I thought it would be great to have somewhere handy to store paintbrushes with the paints so when I got them out everything would be together.

Because the little compartments come right up the lid and they are too long to fit inside any of the compartments, there is no way to store them inside the box.

However, there are 2 empty sides, with all that empty space! It was the perfect spot to store paintbrushes.  So, we simply used hot glue to affix a piece of ribbon (which I had) on the side, with loops that fit 4 brushes.Paintbox with brushes I didn’t do one for the other side, because I don’t need that much brush storage (yet) but it would be easy to do more if need be.  It took almost no time at all, and doesn’t look bad.

Hope everyone had a good weekend, and I hope this was helpful!  🙂  Now, scoot over and visit the other blogs at Handmade Monday, they always make the best stuff!

Comments

Congratulations on your storage idea, brilliant, if only I had the will power to be as organised and tidy.

Excellent idea for the brushes – and so portable too. Would be great for anyone who does classes.

I know what you mean about paint storage – I am a bit obsessive about it as I need to see at a glance when anything is running low – mine are all hung from the wall.

Thanks for taing part in HM x

3. redneedle says:

A practical solution that looks good too. I converted an old toolbox once for my sewing supplies but it was no where near as organised as this. Well done

4. Tidy idea! Easy to find the right paint pot and brush… Nancy

5. Susie says:

The problem for me is that I don’t really have a good space to be able to organize a room, so I need things like this that are portable and can be tucked away somewhere (like a closet) when not in use. I WISH I had a craft room like some people, where I could have open shelves and such in which to put my stuff where it was easy to organize and use in place. Someday… 🙂

6. Tool boxes and such like are great for storage. I like the clear lid on this one as it shows at a glance where things are. Thanks for sharing.

Jan x

The only annoying this is that they put a label on the front and when I took it off it left some glue. I will have to try to clean that up. I don’t know WHY they do that!

7. RosMadeMe says:

Doesn’t it feel wonderful when everything looks neat and tidy. You did a really great job there.

8. simple and effective, great idea! 🙂

9. dreamstar - Lisa says:

Certainly does the job, they all look really tidy in there and great idea with the brushes.
    I wish i could be that organised!

10. Suzanne says:

Great storage idea! Now you can carry it all round together and keep organised. Brilliant!
    Hugs Sue x

11. Dee says:

What a good idea for the brushes 🙂 I too am sadly not that organised maybe I should take note and start! Thank you for stopping by my blog xx

12. Susie says:

Thank you all. As you can probably guess, organization is NOT my strong suit, and so I have to have outside things such as this to help me. Otherwise, I would never find a thing when I needed it! 🙂

13. little harriet says:

What a great idea, I could certainly use one of those.

LH
    x

14. Lau W says:

Oh ! congrats ! You have always THE idea ! That’s cool !
    If you saw the mess in my business, I dream of reorganizing all ! lol !
    Bisous